Sunday 1 April 2012

APPLES in a different way

 

I love apple pies, applesauce, apple cakes, muffins, puddings .... but I've never used them in other dishes. So I wandered around the internet for a bit and found these recipes, none of which I have ever tried! As an added bonus, they are simple and quick. (Quick is important to me 'cause once I get a hankering for something, I want it NOW!) I haven't tried these recipes yet 'cause I just came across them. I can tell you, though, that I will definitely be trying every one ....I've been drooling the whole time I've been writing this! (I can't believe I don't even have any apples in the house right now.)

BTW, did you know that it's been shown that people who eat an apple 15 minutes before a meal will have their calorie intake reduced by 15%? I found an article about it here.  (I wonder what'll happen when you have apples in your meal?) ;)

We should start with a beverage...

APPLE-TINI (from allrecipes.com)

3 tbsp white sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 oz. vodka
1oz. sour apple schnapps
1 oz. cranberry juice
1 apple slice (for garnish)

Stir together sugar & cinnamon and rim a chilled martini glass in the mixture. Pour the vodka, schnapps and juice into a cocktail shaker with ice. Cover and shake until the outside is frosted and strain into the martini glass. Garnish with apple slice.
___________________________________________

GRILLED CHEESE-APPLE SANDWICH (from allrecipes.com

2 slices bread
1 1/2 tsp olive oil
1/2 Granny Smith apple (peeled, cored, thinly sliced)
1/2 c. shredded Swiss cheese

Preheat skillet over medium heat and brush olive oil on one side of each slice of bread. Place one slice, olive oil side down into skillet, place apple slices evenly on top and sprinkle with the cheese. Cover with the remaining slice of bread, olive oil side up. Cook until both sides are golden brown.
___________________________________________

SAUTEED APPLES (from allrecipes.com)

1/4 c. butter
4 lg. tart apples, peeled, cored,1/4" slices
2 tsp. cornstarch
1/2 c. cold water
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

In skillet or saucepan, melt butter over medium heat, add apples. Cook, stirring constantly until apples almost tender, 6-7 minutes.
Dissolve cornstarch in water and add to skillet. Stir in brown sugar and cinnamon. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and serve warm.
___________________________________________

RED HOT APPLE PIE IN A MUG (from thefoodnetwork.com)

1 meduim Fuji apple, cored, cut into 1/2" cubes
12-15 pieces Red Hots Cinnamon Flavored Candy
1/2 sheet (2 crackers) low-fat cinnamon graham crackers
2 tbsp. fat-free whipped topping from aerosol canister
Dash cinnamon

 Put apple cubes in microwavable cup, top with Red Hots. Cover and microwave for 2 minutes. Stir well. Re-cover and microwave for an additional 1-2 minutes until cubes are soft.
Place graham crackers in plastic bag and crush thoroughly, set aside. Once cup is cool enough, mix contents well. Let cool for 10 minutes. Top with most of the graham crumbs, then whipped topping. Sprinkle with cinnamon and rest of crumbs.
 ____________________________________________

10 MINUTE APPLESAUCE (from thefoodnetwork.com)
(I had to have this one ... 'cause it's QUICK ... and it's from Alton Brown!)

3 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and quartered
4 Fuji apples, peeled, cored and quartered
1 c. unfiltered apple juice
2 tbsp. cognac or brandy
2 tbsp. butter
3 tbsp. honey
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

In a sealable microwave-safe container, combine apples with all the ingredients. Close lid, leaving one corner open. Microwave on high for 10 minutes.
Use a hand blender or potato masher to blend to the desired consistency. Serve hot or cold.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog, Sew Alluring. I'm glad to find another crafty blog!

    ReplyDelete